Our vision & history
The vision for Eddington is to create a place that is sustainable, long-lasting and ambitious, offering a high quality of life to enhance both the City and University of Cambridge.
The University is one of the world’s leading universities, but it must continue to develop and grow, and needs to address the lack of affordable accommodation for its staff and post-graduate students.
Eddington and the wider North West Cambridge Development seeks to secure the University’s long-term future and contribute to the City’s growth by providing homes for key workers, students and the public in a vibrant place to live.
This development will ultimately include:
- 1,500 homes for University and College staff
- 1,500 private houses for sale
- Accommodation for 2,000 postgraduates
- 100,000 sq/m of academic and research and development space of which up to 40% may be private research with University connection or Research Institutes
- Community facilities including the University of Cambridge Primary School, Storey’s Field Centre, health centre, Sainsbury’s supermarket and local shops
- A hotel
- A care village
- Sustainable transport provision including cycle ways
- Sports facilities and playing fields
- Public open spaces
Building a sustainable community
Our commitment to creating a sustainable place and building communities includes significant investment in the community infrastructure that will help people lead sustainable lives.
Outline Planning Consent
Outline planning consent has been granted for the 150 hectare site which will include 1500 homes for University and College key workers, 1500 homes for sale, accommodation for 2000 post-graduate students, 100,000 square metres of research facilities (including 40,000 square meters for research institutes and private research facilities linked to the University), and a wide range of community facilities.
Around one third of the site will be used as public open space for sports, informal recreation and ecological use.
The full outline planning application can be found in our document archive.