Phase 1: Progress so far
Eddington, the first phase of the North West Cambridge Development, is the start of a new residential community.
Prioritising housing seeks to meet the housing supply shortage in Cambridge, but Eddington is more than just a housing development.
Unprecedented in scale and ambition, the first phase is a new place complete with award-winning community facilities which are open to the wider community to enjoy.
Phase 1 includes:
- 700 homes for qualifying University and College staff
- 325 post-graduate student rooms
- 700 market homes
- Three form entry University of Cambridge Primary School
- Storey’s Field Centre: a community centre and performance arts space
- Eddington Nursery
- Health centre
- Sainsbury’s supermarket
- Retail units
- Senior living home
- Sports pitches
- Public, green space and landscaping incorporating the water-recycling system
- Roads and transport routes including junctions at Madingley Road and Huntingdon Road
- Energy centre and district heating network
Building a development of this scale will see many milestones
Our key milestones for Phase 1 are:
- 2013: Outline planning consent granted
- 2013: Broke ground and started construction
- 2015: University of Cambridge Primary School opened
- 2017: Eddington’s first residents – key workers and post-graduate students – arrived
- 2018: Storey’s Field Centre opened
- 2018: Eddington’s first private residents arrived
Our time-lapsed photography was compiled between 2014 and 2017 to show buildings and infrastructure being delivered. Below are some videos that show the progress made.
Creation of the Primary School
This film shows the construction of the University of Cambridge Primary School from November 2014 – August 2015.
Storey’s Field Centre timelapse footage
See the creation of the Storey’s Field Centre from September 2015 to October 2017.
Drone footage of Eddington
This film shows Eddington from above in August 2017.