Categories: Art Family friendly Music Residents Talks & Tours Visitors
Open Eddington 2019
Saturday 14th September 2019 10:00am - 4:00pm
Locations: Market Square,Storey’s Field Centre
On Saturday 14 September, Eddington hosts a day of free activities, talks, tours and entertainment for all ages.
There will be live music throughout the day with the unmissable Brass Funkeys, Arco Iris samba band and other live acts – plus a street food market with some of the region’s favourite food trucks.
The day will feature different events showcasing Eddington, the University of Cambridge’s new district in the City designed to offer a high quality of life. Open Eddington explores the ethos of community and sustainability which sit at the heart of the development.
The Universal Bus will be operating a free service on Saturday 14 September as part of Open Eddington. On Saturdays the service runs from the railway station to Eddington via the city centre.
Eddington is a short cycle journey from central Cambridge. There will be very limited parking available so we encourage visitors to use sustainable transport methods to get to Eddington. Drivers can park at the Madingley Road Park and Ride, a short walk from Eddington. For more information click here.
Free activities from 10am to 4pm
Tours, talks and exhibitions – booking OPENS AUGUST 2019
- Public art walking tour– visit the art installations and hear about residencies and community schemes. 10.30am-11.30am, 12pm-1pm, 2pm-3pm
- Archaeology talk – the last decade of archaeological work and remarkable findings in North West Cambridge. 12pm-1pm
- The secrets of the Storey’s Filed Centre – tour the underground labyrinth that ventilates the centre. 10.30am-11am, 12.30pm-1pm, 2.30pm-3pm
- Energy Centre tour – Eddington’s low carbon energy system explained. 10am-11am, 11am-12pm, 1pm-2pm, 2pm-3pm
- Nature tour of Eddington – supporting the Eddington environment through conservation work. 12.30pm-1.30pm, 1.45pm-2.45pm, 3pm-4pm
- Eddington site tour – a look at the architecture and sustainability features. 10am-11am, 11am-12pm, 1pm-2pm, 2pm-3pm
In Market Square and the Storey’s Field Centre
- Junkyard Orchestra – band workshops, compose your own song and make an instrument from recycled materials. 10am-4pm
- Become An Artscaper – help make a giant piece of art for Open Eddington 2019. 10am-4pm
- Showtime – Learn about the behind the scenes elements at the Storeys Field Centre and try your hand at the lighting rig. Booking required. 11.30am-12.30pm, 1.30pm-2.30pm
- See what the award-winning Storey’s Field Centre has to offer with a marketplace of clubs, organisations and events. 10am-4pm
- Woodcraft folk – outdoor games, badge making and activities. 10am-4pm
- Arts club – children’s activities using a wide range of arts materials. 10am-4pm
- Bird spotting competition. 10am-4pm
- Eddington wide treasure hunt with prizes. 10am-4pm
- Cycling activities – pedal powered Scalextrics, sprint challenge, bike bubble machine and try-out show. 10am-4pm
- Self-guided tour of Eddington. 10am-4pm
- Learn about the underground waste system at Eddington with a live demonstration. 10am-12pm
- Join the team in the Athena Sales & Marketing Suite on Eddington Avenue to help build a 500-piece brick mosaic picture together. 10am-4pm
Open air performance from the Brass Funkeys – an 8-piece Brass Band drawing on the traditions of New Orleans – plus live samba band and other live acts throughout the day. 10am-4pm
Street food market and bar
Some of the top street food trucks and vendors from the region including Steak & Honour, Vegan Vice, Caf-fiend, Churros bar, Azahar, Pimp My Fish, and Rural Coffee Project– plus a licensed bar in the Thirsty beer bus. 10am-4pm